Main objective of the project DE-HUMUS is the first commercial application of 4 treatment plants in 4 different European Countries for decentralised humus production out of different organic wastes with advantages of emission reduction and renewable energy generation. The installation of the project applications are conduced to show the possibility of technology with the following specific objectives and ambitions:
- humus production out of all kinds of organic waste material, to increase the topsoil/humus proportion and avoid land erosion;
- decentralised humus allocation (65% of Europe shows a rural settlement structure) out of small waste quantities including reduction of transportation costs and emissions; humus utilisation to substitute chemical fertiliser and close natural circuits (e.g. phosphorus, carbon) to increase resource efficiency; advance recycling management to guarantee an optimal use of resources
- reduction of environmental impacts, greenhouse gases (CO2, CH4, N2O,..), odour and dust emissions
- renewable energy production to substitute fossil fuels as energy carriers and without competing with food industry (limitation of cultivated area and biomass leads to a competition food vs. energy); organic waste is still unused
- to comply with European directives and standards (e.g. Landfill Directive, Waste Framework Directive, Thematic Strategy on the Prevention and Recycling of waste, Directive on Renewable Energy Sources, Climate aims 20-20-20)
Major outputs & results
- Technology application in 4 different EU countries to treat small amounts of organic waste to produce humus as soil conditioner and fertilizer
- Emission reduction of green house gases (16.800t/a CO2, 33.500m³/a CH4) dust and odour (37.500.000 odour units/a) emissions; Reuse of 10.500t/a organic waste
- Publicity of the project technology and information of prospective customers.
- Market uptake with an economic potential of 10 Mio. annual turnover 3-5 years after project end.